Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Contacts
Since I've been in denial of my failing vision for the past, oh, five years or so - I rarely take a picture without pulling my glasses off first. It's not a vanity thing, it's that in my minds eye, I don't see myself as having glasses. I'm not that girl. Sure, I can't watch a movie or see what time the clock across the room says without them - and it's true, I can't pass a drivers eye exam (said to me at the last time I renewed my license: "Uh, so, can you at least see colors? Like, Red and Green? Ok...I'll renew your license, but promise me you won't drive without glasses.") But, glasses just aren't me - I'm not someone who needs glasses. I just wear them for pleasure. (You know, for the pleasure of being able to see.)

I've finally reached a point where I no longer want to be squinting to see if someone is making eye contact with me or not.

I'm tired of wincing and shrinking back as a reflex whenever my son waves his hand at my face - fearing the contact of child's-hand on parents-glasses. Glasses may be fragile, but they're also hard and hurt when pushed too hard against the bridge of your nose. I have the marks to prove it.

Actually, the permanent little bump on my nose from my Dunkin Donuts incident might be attributed to the force of my glasses colliding with the window and then being forced down onto my nose. Ever since then, they've been uncomfortable to wear, and I've had headaches.

But, bruises and headaches aside, I really just want to see without wearing these crooked, face-dominating, glasses anymore. And so, after years of saying "I don't think I could ever do contacts. I can't touch my eye..." I went out and stuck my finger right in there, like a woman on a mission.

Not only am I now, officially, glasses-free - but it turns out my prescription had gotten a bit worse over the past, um, three years, since my last appointment (amazing what two pregnancies can do to you vision.) And, so things are clearer now. Like, the pack of wild turkeys I almost ran over on my way to work this morning. Seeing as Turkeys don't glow in vibrant hues of red or green, they're probably just as thankful as I am that I got my eyes checked.

And my kids - I can actually nuzzle near to them, without those spectacles jabbing them in the cheek and without fear of their sticky little hands tugging my glasses off and smudging the lenses, or worse, breaking them. (Though, I still shrink back when The Boss starts swatting at my face...but I think that's just common sense. The kid's got a good right hook. I'm just happy to see it coming now.)

Labels: ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Novice said...

Though I always thought your glasses made you look sophisticated, I am glad you have contacts. Nuzzling kids should have no obstacles.

Blogger Skye said...

Oh... cool, Mella! I didn't even realize you wore glasses, but I'm glad you are rid of them now!

Blogger dillyweed said...

I wore glasses for about 10 years with contacts on and off in there when I could tolerate it. I'm a huge eye-phobic and so even putting a contact in my eyes was a feat to overcome.
Then my parents offered to have me get LASIK and I decided it wouldn't KILL me, so I did it. I'm glad I did it, but it was hard. But like having a baby, there was something positive at the end to show for it.
By the way, I like the picture of you with glasses. You look cute with them on! ;)

Blogger Mella said...

My father got LASIK (twice...) and he has hinted at it for me too - though, my vision is really not "bad" by technical standards. The doctor's always say "your prescription is very mild..." (so mild, in fact, that I had to sort of nudge them to let me even try contacts.)

Blogger Zhoen said...

Much as I value vision, I know the feeling. I can't see myself as someone with light hair (grey in my case.) I always thought I should be wearing glasses. Tried contacts, and could not remove them, gave up after a week of misery.

Good for you. Hope it's a good long term solution.

Blogger dillyweed said...

What is your prescription? Mine used to be -2.25 and -2.50 before pregnancy. Then it got worse and I just went for the LASIK.
Now the only time I notice blurred vision is when I'm out at night (but that's rare anyhow and Ryan usually drives if we are out together anyhow). Or when my eyes are dry. But that's not too often either.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on being in denial and not being "that girl" - I only wear my glasses when I drive but the rest of my life is blurry! Hubby says I have a permanent squinty-eyed look. Maybe I should get over my fear of putting foreign objects in my eyes and go with contacts... you're a brave soul...

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

CUTE picture and you look great with glasses so either way...glasses or contacts...you look beautiful!:) So, a question...a pack of wild turkeys? You must be way out there in the country!!!! What fun!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer