Monday, March 12, 2007
One Down...
It's strange how writer's brain works. I started the day focusing on a story that I'm already 12 pages into, that I have a fairly good idea as to where I want it to go, and then BAM, from out of the clear wide nowhere - another story just demands to be written. One I've never even thought of before, one with character's I don't know, stories I hadn't heard until they told them to me today - and yet, there it is. It's the first thing I've accomplished today, and I had no idea it was even a possibility as of this time last night.

Though, I'm not 100% sure if it's complete. I started to continue it, but then re-read one of the last lines and realized that this is where I felt the narrator wanted me to leave off - so I wasn't sure if it needed anything more. I didn't want to write more just for the sake of writing more, when I felt the narrator was leaving me...Of course, it might not be that the story is truly over, but merely that I'm simply exhausted and need to rethink it and come back to it in the morning. This is the sort of feedback that my mentor will provide also, but if anyone's interested in reading over the crazy out-of-nowhere story and letting me know what you think, be my guest...

Now, to go back and try to tackle that story I set out to do in the first place.

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Darkmind said...

Just finished reading the story. I'm not sure its finished either, and I have a suggestion, but I am not sure you'd like it or could even use it. Still, good use of imagery...

Blogger Skye said...

Wonderful, Mella; completely gripping. I became so engrossed in this story that I lost track of where I was and what time it was, forgot to wake my girls up, and we were late for school! (Okay, daylight savings played a part in it too, as they normally would have woken up on their own!)

I have to agree with Darkmind that it doesn't feel finished. Very close to finished, but not quite.

Blogger Skye said...

P.S. Forgot to say that I adored this line: "the baby mushrooms container tipped sideways, their little white faces piled on top of one another and staring at the sack of potatoes." I just loved it. Fantastic imagery. I love your ability to jump into a person's head and see how he or she would view normal objects under abnormal circumstances. True talent.

Blogger Mella said...

Thanks so much both of you - I went ahead and tried to write an ending, as a writer rather than as someone channeling the voice of a narrator (which is sort of how a lot of my fiction feels when I'm writing it) - I've added a little "closure", I guess.

Either way, it's off to the races...er...my mentor.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer