Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Contents
The box is Italian and when opened it sings Edelweiss. On our honeymoon, I found myself hunting for the perfect one. One with the combination of shape, design, color and music that I wanted to bring home with me as a souvenir. But it was surprisingly difficult and we came home empty handed.

Six months later, we spent Christmas morning in our 500-square foot apartment just south of Boston, knelt side-by-side in front of a two-foot tall tree in a pot, decorated with miniature bows by the people at our local Home Depot. And my husband surprised me with this:


He even requested that they change the tune when he couldn't find exactly what we'd looked for. The ironic thing is that I don't even wear much jewelry - don't even keep my wedding rings in the box. (I keep those on a wooden fruit stand from Guatemala that's beside our stove - the obvious place for one's most expensive jewelry.)

And so when I came across a Meme (while procrastinating, of course) that asks you to open your jewelry box to the world, I thought it was inapplicable to me. But still, I opened the box - if only to listen to Edelweiss.

Here is what I saw:


Contents, originally uploaded by Mellahoney.

It was more like a memory box than a jewelry box, though most of the contents are 'jewelry', I suppose, most have some specific memory attached. The watch in the center was a hand-me-down gift from my aunt just days before I left for Romania, for example. You can click on the picture for details about the rest of the objects in my box - there are notes attached.

Labels: , , ,



6 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Jewels, memories, whatever.

Perfect task for me today, thanks.

Blogger TrappedInColorado said...

What's in my jewelery box (or the equivalent male thing):

SSN card.

Picture of the only woman I would have married after the first date.

Cuff links (last used before you were born)

Collar tie clasp.

Tie clip.

Extra motorcycle key.

Butane lighter for a pipe (last used before you were born)

Top shirt button cover (actually for something so simple it does make the attire more formal)

Gold wrist chain (last worn to a disco in the early 80s)

Gold neck chain (last worn to a disco in the early 80s)

A ticket for hitchhiking in Nebraska (received before you were born)

Chop sticks? (What tha...??)

A graduation ring from West Point I found at a ski resort (yes, before you were born). I tried to find the owner...

Some odd and end stuff I can not even identify.

Gee. Should I post this? What would a shrink say about me after reading this? :)

Peace

Blogger Mella said...

Now, that is interesting, Trapped. Fascinating stuff - I'm so glad you shared!

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

I love the box and what a thoughtful gift! Isn't it awesome when husbands go the extra mile on gift giving?

So where did you go for your honeymoon? Rick and I had an Italian honeymoon as well and were in the same predicament as you guys that we needed to come home with something cool! We ended up getting a Vanetien (spell?) mask made by a local. I love it, except when people suggest it could be demon possessed which someone once did...ugh!;)

Blogger Mella said...

Oh, absolutely, Susanna - Vin out did himself with this as a Christmas gift. I had no idea that it was coming, I think I cried a little when I opened it.

We went to Rome, Florence and Venice (first time to Italy, so we had to do the "major" sights) - and went a little nuts on the souveniers - especially in Venice. We each bought masks as well, and a blown-art sculpture of a couple embracing (which has subsequently broken) - and a beautiful glass Christmas ornament.

In Florence, we bought a leather album for our wedding photos...which has yet to be completed. Hmmm...maybe when my kids are all grown up and moved away - maybe then I'll have time.

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Wow, you did get a lot!!! But why not...honeymoons in Italy don't happen everyday!!:)

We're still working on our wedding pictures too! I feel like as long as we have some framed and on display, that is the most important thing but ya, it would be nice to get our album done someday!;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer