Monday, August 20, 2007
Twenty-Eight
We shop on my birthday. This has become our tradition - saves my husband the ordeal of maneuvering his way around a store in the hopes of finding the right gift. Not that I require a 'gift' to begin with. Still, once we're in the car, he asks repeatedly what do you want? And follows up with the reminder that, it's your day, you can get whatever you want.

A good cup of coffee? I ask. Check. We stopped by my favorite old cafe on the South Shore and each came away with a nice hot cup of goodness. Then we began perusing stores. What do I want? What do I want?

It shouldn't be such a difficult question. But it is.




We shop the clearance racks, hunt for the best pair of running sneakers at the lowest possible price. Score. And then I settle on a pair of birthday shoes, a BOGO deal at Payless and we buy a pair for Lila as well.

All the while, I'm thinking about what I want vs what I need.

Want:

A fabulous new camera to take sharper, better, faster, pictures of my family.

Plane tickets to Florida (so that we can get on a cruise ship in October)

More good coffee.

Membership to a decent gym (and the time to get there)

Fancy pants (new clothing in general)

Need:

...I realize there isn't anything pressing or urgent.

I have a home. I have vehicles that take me from point A to point B. I have friendship. I have love. I have, I have, I have...

And this makes me happy. Needs are met. Life is good. Wants can wait.

Labels: , ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

This realization grows more acute with passing years, for me. Less and less that I even want. I have love and joy, friendship and enough.

Wonderful photo, wonderful family you got there. Happy birthday.

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Happy Birthday, Mella!

Junie

Blogger TrappedInColorado said...

I used your quote "Needs are met. Live is good. Wants can wait." when someone asked me how I was yesterday. Book signing soon? :)

Blogger david C said...

First off, Happy B-day! What a wonderful time (unless you are over 30 LOL! We reccomend the Fujifilm S5200. you can buy them on ebay for cheap, they are no longer made. It is the best comprimise between an SLR (which we can't afford) and a point and click (which is not high enough quality).. Bought a cannon and then returned it. So happy with our camera now... But that is our opinion.

Blogger Udge said...

Belated but no less heartfelt happy birthday, dear M. That realization was surely a great present!

Blogger dillyweed said...

Happy Birthday, friend.
P.S. Cute shoes you got there! ;)
-Briana

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Mella! I haven't visited in quite a long time and I realize it when I see this pix of your kids. I remember finding you barely pregnant the first time. You, I might add, look exactly the same!

I'll be coming by more often and maybe you'll visit my new blog too.

Take care,
TravelingMermaid aka Charlotte

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer