Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Geek Love


My husband and I are geeks. Case in point, we watch the National Spelling Bee and root for contestants as though cheering on teams in a Superbowl.





Last night, I quizzed my husband on completely absurd and wonderful words from these new books I received in the mail yesterday. The Gilded Tongue provides language(s) of origin, parts of speech as well as uses in sentences - which meant that my husband could ask questions about the words, just as they do on the Spelling Bee. He did quite well, actually, closing his eyes and spelling the words out on his palm. Meanwhile, I sat and flipped through the books, just reveling in the abundance of words.

Fun, interesting, bizarre bits of language, oddly ordinary in their meanings. Or, as the subtitle of The Gilded Tongue suggests, Overly Eloquent Words for Everyday Things.

They're fantastic.

(You know, if you enjoy indulging your inner geek as much as I do.)

Labels: , , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.

"Wordplay", the movie.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH OH OH! I must get the gilded tongue!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer