Monday, February 26, 2007
Ha ha!
Let me preface this by explaining that not only did I grow up relatively near to Boston, but also, near the lovely mill city of Lowell. Both cities are breeding grounds for two of the (no offense) strongest and least attractive accents known to man. Or at least, known to me.

My parents and extended family all speak with what I've come to refer to as the Merrimack Valley accent - they drop the letter 'r' from words, similar to the well known-Boston accent - the difference is, they find a better use for their r's (nothing goes to waste, mind you.) They hide r's at the end of words that require no r - the classic example is: I have an idea-r (which is pronounced I-Dear -and makes me cringe every time I hear it.)

There's also something in their inflection that's different from the typical Bostonian accent. I can't quite put my finger on it - the attitude is different? The way words are drawn out, sentences mumbled, something altogether...different.

The small town I grew up in has a muddled mixture of these two accents. And, I assure you - it ain't pretty. And so, when I was asked to narrate a skit in high school because my speaking voice was the most articulate in the class, I was over-the-moon proud. I can't explain why, except that perhaps it confirmed in some small way that I didn't entirely belong there.

Now, onto the real meat of this procrastination-post. I, as usual, was making the best use of my children's bedtime by bouncing around the blogosphere looking for something to spark my interest (and aide in my procrastination.)

Enter, the accent quiz. I was afraid that perhaps, having lived closer to each of the cities over the past ten years, I would've aquired some of the sloppy lost letters along the way. Not to fear. I am "without an accent" (And I put my faith fully in this ten question quiz - I firmly believe that it is the best indicator of speech patterns...)


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Boston
The West
North Central
Philadelphia
The Northeast
The Inland North
The South
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Fun. They pegged me for North Central- "Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot." Well, that's where my family is from, I grew up hearing Canada spoken at home.

Blogger dillyweed said...

I had a midland accent as well. Haha. Looks like we could have a conversation together... without confusion. Now did you say "pen" or "pin"? :)
-Briana

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, surprisingly accurate for a stupid Internet quiz! It said I'm probably from NYC, n. Jersey, CT or RI. I was born in NY & lived most of my life in RI. Funny thing is I never thought I sounded like either a NY'er or a RI'er, and both those places have distinct accents. And btw, a Lowell accent's got nothing on Cranston, RI - make that "Creeeeeanstin." Anywaym, thanks for the fun link!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer