Friday, August 18, 2006
Skin
This time, it's beautiful.

I am.

In the mirror, draped in shadow and streams of light, I see this body of mine through new eyes. Like a first encounter, meeting myself in this pregnancy, in this mirror. The skin of my stomach is tight, but smooth and unmarked. No fat to pinch between my fingertips. The light spreads over my skin, milky-white and it curves, naturally around me.


I see what I wouldn't look at before, what I spent months loathing while carrying my son.

I see that this is beautiful.

I am.

This time.

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Beautiful Mella! I hope I can be more comfortable with my pregnant body next time around...I guess heredity has been kind to you in terms of stretch marks, etc! I'll try not to be too jealous!:)

Blogger LJ said...

Yes. You are. And this piece is also beautiful. No bigger grace than acceptance and gratitude for what is...

Blogger Zhoen said...

(o)

(oh, and moira is writing again.)

Blogger Mella said...

This pregnancy has been so different than my first. I'm far too distracted with my son to spend much time focusing on my waist (or lack there of.) I was sincerely surprised when I did happen to catch myself in the mirror one afternoon and realize that I actually look, well, naturally good.

I'm not sure why I missed this the first time around, perhaps my concept of true beauty has evolved?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer