Tuesday, June 20, 2006
On Sharing
We're built differently. She has a smaller frame, slender fingers and feet. Her eyes blue, her skin darker and unblemished by freckles. Unlike me, with my thin net of freckles over skin so pale that in the winter it's nearly transluscent. My feet have always been bigger; all of me has. Broader shoulders, rounder knuckles and knees, breasts.

Of course, none of this ever deterred me from raiding her closet. I'd do it and return shirts to their hangers, clean, but stretched so much that when she'd wear them, they'd hang loose over her narrow frame. She hated that.

Today, we share everything. It's a habit we've nurtured over the past decade. We share clothing, couches, food, burdens, experiences, everything. And today, even
this; the one thing I wanted to keep for myself.

But now it's on her, draped and heavy over her shoulders and I can't take it off. Can't make it only mine again. And I finally understand, there are some things sisters shouldn't have to share.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I just found out the same happened to a close friend of mine... why? I never thought this was a common occurrance... and it does drape too heavily on those shoulders, and I can't take it off either, as much as I want to relieve her pain.

Blogger Leesha said...

Mella, I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that and now your sister is too.
When you read/hear about something like that, it makes everything else that is happening in your world seem very pale and insignificant in comparisson.

I hope everything works out well for her.

~Leesha~

Blogger Mella said...

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers for my sister and her family. Truly.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer