Saturday, March 04, 2006
Words are but the vague shadows of the volumes we mean. Little audible links, they are, chaining together great inaudible feelings and purposes. ~Theodore Dreiser, 1900

The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies. ~Ray Bradbury

It's late and I'm flipping through quotes online to satisfy my hunger for words strung together just-so.

I'm sitting in my in-laws family room, avoiding bed and writing and the college basketball game that has entranced my husband and father-in-law. Too tired to write. Too tired to sleep (clarification: too tired to untangle the clump of thoughts that pesters me each night as I attempt to sleep.)

Mostly, I'm regretting that I neglected to pack a book.


4 Comments:

Blogger David HG said...

Quotes - basketball + bookless + blogful = most of us.

Blogger Zhoen said...

I started listening to Shelby Foote and John LeCarre books on tape to go to sleep early when I switched from night shifts to too-early mornings. The habit remained, as it helped both of us to let go of those tangling thoughts and sleep. Like the adult conversations in the other room when I was small.

Blogger Mella said...

David Good to know I'm not alone...

ZhoenExcellent suggestions...

LJ I know, I know. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to go, and we "packed" in record time. I was kicking myself the entire weekend.

Blogger Pete Deichmann said...

It seems to me that searching for quotes is the heroin of the Internet. Brutally addictive, and unabashedly self-indulgent. Fortunately it won't kill you!

Weird

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer