Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Ghosts of Writing Past
Long story short - I am screwed.

I made the mistake of submitting a manuscript that's not entirely ready for submitting, to a publishing house that expressly says in their guidelines "DO NOT SUBMIT INCOMPLETE MANUSCRIPTS" - but I figured, if they asked for the next three chapters (as it says they will in their guidelines, if they're interested) - it would take them about another 6-8 weeks to get back to me (again, per their guidelines) - which would give me enough time to finish up what I need to finish.

Uh.

Or something like that.

My plan was working so well, until I wound up emailing back and forth with the managing editor tonight, who read my first chapter (of the novel I started and never finished, which some of you may remember...as it had a blog by the same name...) and then decided that rather than ask for the first three chapter's, he really likes it and wants to read the whole thing.

Great!

Except that because I'd only sent it to him, um, tonight, it's not quite finished yet.

So, I tell him that I'll clean it up and send it along, but it might take a 'short while' as I work Monday-Friday and all that jazz.

He writes back again, within a ten minute time frame, to say 'your writing is already very clean, I wouldn't worry too much. Take your time, but not too much. Thank you again for a very entertaining first chapter.

I'm going to be living in the past for the next few nights. Hopefully it will all turn out brilliantly and they'll actually want to publish it.


5 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

Wow - good luck!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! They got back to you quickly! Happy writing and reminiscing...

Blogger Katharine Tapley said...

You and God can crank this out, Mella!

Blogger szerin said...

Din occur to you that the managing editor might be reading your blog eh? ;) Never know.. Good luck anyway.. =)

Blogger Mella said...

Thanks everyone - it worked out for the best, I think. Details are over on my writerly blog - "http://melaniehaney.blogspot.com" =)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer