Friday, December 09, 2005
Downtime

The lake is completely frozen; the yard is hard and beneath a blanket of fresh white powder; the house is set in a snow globe. Schools are closed. The roads are slick and slippery with brown sludge tire tracks, sitting quietly after the early mornings commute. Everything's still now. The world is frozen.

Including the internet.

I've been disconnected from time to time over the past week - a blessing and a curse. It's difficult to procrastinate when there's not a world of websites to read at your fingertips. And so, I've been getting some words on the page, but almost grudgingly. Fine, if you won't let me play, I guess I'll get some work done.

The Boss has been keeping me plenty busy. We're in the most adorable phase of Step...Step...Clap. He takes one or two slow, clumsy steps, then latches onto my legs and smiles - at which point the adults in the room all applaud his achievement. The Boss pulls back proudly and stands on his own - clapping.

He then sits down and claps for himself. Then he crawls two or three feet, sits back and claps again. It's very, very sweet.

Meanwhile, I'm pushing everything to the center of the tables - since he's spending more and more time on two-feet now, he's reaching things in places that were once considered safe. I found him this morning on the floor with a mouthful of tissues, surrounded by torn bits of newspaper and an empty coffee mug - clapping.

Labels: ,



12 Comments:

Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I enjoy your 'little boy' stories!

Brings back a lot of long ago memories for me!

June


http://journals.aol.com/juniper5541/JunipersWorld/

Blogger LJ said...

Read this aloud to my friends at work...along with the "no-no" blog.
Both a bit hit, M.

Blogger oldhall said...

Ah, yes, the 'move everything to the centre of the table' maneouver, I remember it well. As I recall, it's not a 'long term' solution.

Blogger mreddie said...

Both of my daughters are in that 'move everything away from the edge' mode, they each have a 9 month old that are in the pulling up and pulling anything within reach down stage.

I liked lordx19's line - 'a typical man's morning ritual' - the next step is taking over the TV remote. ec

Blogger Skye said...

I remember finding my son sitting amid a mountain of shredded/chewed newspaper... I guess it's a full ten years ago now, and I still smile at the memory. Just as a warning: don't leave any of those large cans of 3-flavor Christmas popcorn lying around with the lid loose! :)

Blogger dhoop kinara said...

i like your expression.

Blogger Michael said...

Hi Mella,

I just started delving into your blog and I'm really enjoying it. You have a beautiful way with words. That former teacher of yours who observed that you'll do just fine certainly hit the nail on the head.

Blogger Susan Cronk said...

Great blog. Who says daily life is without its intrigue and humor. "The boss," cute. Come to think of it, they are a bit in charge aren't they. Gotta love them though.

Keep blogging.

Blogger brainhell said...

Soon enough, nothing is safe from them.

Blogger -jkg said...

wow. really good site. ill be checking back.

Blogger david C said...

The thought of everything frozen reminds me of my youth, when we had a "Snow day". We lived outside of the city, and when a good snowfall or winter storm hit we would be stuck at the house. Stuck is the figureative word, as we would play board games with mom, my father and I would feed the fireplace and we would drink hot chocolate made with real milk. It would always be quiet outside, without the sound of passing cars. Later on when the storm died down, our parents would send us outside to make snow angels and tunnels in the big drifts. My wife and I are moving out to the country in the spring, getting out of the big city. I am pleased that we will be taking a step back from the rat race so that we can give our children the gifts of life that my parents gave me. I am sooo looking forward to teaching our children how to skate on the lake.....

Blogger Mella said...

David - Your memories makes me want to go teach the boss how to make snow angels! It's a shame that we can't get him to sit still long enough to put his fancy new snow pants and boots on...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer