Friday, April 17, 2009
Where We Are
It's 9:18 in the morning. It's a strange morning for me, realizing where we are, where we were and where we were supposed to be, at this moment in time.

Exactly one week ago at this moment, I was giving birth.

Today, I am listening to the sounds of Veggie Tales singing to my two older children in the living room and the gentle breathing of my newborn beside me on the bed.

Where I should be, is still fully pregnant and enjoying the final days of my family of four with the beginning of my time off from work.

Best laid plans, I suppose.

The adjustment is going well for us (knock on wood) - Lila, whom I feared would be envious, has been anything but.

I'm going to call him Sweetie Pie, she told me yesterday, grinning over his cradle.

The Boss has been helpful, both with the baby, and with his sister (who has a cold and needs constant nose wiping and hand sanitizing.)

It occurred to me last night that there are entire stories of happenings here that I haven't posted here. This bothers me, only in that this has essentially been my journal of motherhood. It's where I've been able to come with the scraps at the end of my day and make something beautiful, even if only for myself.

Knowing how fast it all goes, how quickly a week, a month, a year, can pass - I wonder, how many small moments have I neglected to keep for myself here, or anywhere? Or perhaps, because this is a fruitless question, the better one to ask is - how many will I capture in the days and weeks and months to come?

Labels: , , , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

I'm going to call him Sweetie Pie too. :)

Blogger Novice said...

That is utterly precious! If I'm ever around and she calls him that, I may have an adorable coronary.

I know how you feel, Mella. I often feel like there is so much that should be chronicled somewhere other then my head, because my head is such an unreliable place these days.

I've found a camera to be a good friend these days, because looking at a snapshot can bring the words back to me. Even if I don't have time to edit and post anywhere, I can look at the photograph and at least jot the story down. I tell myself that I can always fic it up and put it out into the world when I have time.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer