Thursday, June 05, 2008
Picnic
It starts with a picnic. Why do these things always start with picnics?

Freshman year we had a picnic out on the chapel lawn. Long tables of hot dogs and hamburgers, soft corn on the cob that has been soaked so long it's chewy when it should be crisp. Our entire class spread across the grass in pockets of budding friendships, or relationships that would turn into acquaintances and 'hey, remember that guy?' conversations in four years time. The introductory picnic. I dread these sort of things the way the new kid in town fears entering the junior high cafeteria with a loaded tray and nowhere to sit.

Of course, as the email just arrived in my inbox tells me, the conference next weekend kicks off with a picnic, followed by a reception.

I'm already panicking or racking brain for reasons that I can't possibly make it.

But I am, for the first time in four years, without excuse. My kids will be hundreds of miles away. I will have a car and be in a place with really nothing else to do with myself BUT mingle at with other writer's and work on my own craft.

What have I signed up for?

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Bring a book, and an open mind. Either way, could be better than you imagine.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mella, I'm going through a very similar thing, except my workshop starts in July so I guess that just means more time to agonize over it and wonder if it's a good idea to go. For you, I wish a comforting, easygoing picnic on your first day. An inspiring week. A worthwhile trip. I can't wait to hear about it.

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

I don't relish those types of events either, especially when I don't know anyone in attendance! I'm sure there'll be a lot of people feeling just the way you do though hopefully and you can bond over your similar distaste for the whole introductory thing!:)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer