Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Back to Life
After spending a day decompressing and visiting with friends down at my in law's house, I'm finally home. My first day back in my old life, post writer's workshop.

The workshop was far less daunting than I'd thought it was going to be. I met some very talented and wonderful writers. Thanks to the encouragement of my workshop group, I even managed to do a reading (which I pulled off to a moderate degree of success, after only skipping over an entire paragraph of my piece...whoops)

I suppose I got what I needed as well, a sign that I'm on the right path and that I need to make revisions to my life, so to speak, to better live as a writer and not just as a mom-who-writes.

Changes I Can Make:

Number 1: Write. On a schedule, I mean.

Number 2: Unplug the internet while attempting to write. (Or at least stop playing so much scrabulous when I could be writing.)

Number 3: Read more good literature.

Number 4: Find prompts in everyday life and stick to them. Even if the work isn't marketable in and of itself, I might stumble across a voice or a character or even just a turn of phrase that could be useful in a different piece.

So far this morning has gone fairly well. I've managed to write a few paragraphs and now instead of stressing over getting on the treadmill while my kids nap, I'm going to see if I can't write a few more.

Labels:



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went well!! Thanks for sharing those ideas. Is Grace returning soon? :)

Blogger Zhoen said...

Wonderful.

As usual, you inspire me.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer