Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Peripheral Vision
I heard a harpist at the grocery store today. Plunked down between produce and express checkout, she plucked soothing melodies while I debated whether or not to scoop-up the orange-tinted grape tomatoes from the salad bar.

I didn't even realize she was there, didn't appreciate her music as being anything more than the static muzack that most stores buzz through their overhead speakers whilst we shop for canned goods or squeeze melons and heads of cabbage.

It wasn't until I passed her with my salad in a plastic bag. While paying, she had been right behind me, and while making my salad, she had been in front of me - but it wasn't until I was walking past her that I finally saw, finally made the connection that she and the music had been right there all along.

I love those sort of unexpected moments, caught ever-so-briefly from the corner of my eyes.

Labels:



7 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Liminal harpists.

Blogger LJ said...

What a civilized way to choose salad ingredients. I love those kind of surprises, too.

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

How fun! I've never seen a live musician at a grocery store around here before...what fun! Better than the regular supermarket music fare (the worst light music ever!;)

SUsanna

Blogger Laurie said...

I'm surprised the store would pay for a musician. What a lovely gesture.

Blogger Ariel said...

A harpist at the grocery store? Uh? Are you sure it wasn't some sort of, erm, vision? Blimey, that would never happen at Tesco's [largest UK supermarket chain].

Blogger Mella said...

Oh, she was real...and I was just as surprised as you. Though, it was a rather yuppy grocery store, not where I normally shop.

Blogger TrappedInColorado said...

I LOVE the way you take simple events in your day and make them fascinating and interesting! You are an artist.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer