Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Babysitting: Conversations with C
(Somewhere in the wooded-heart of Massachusetts, there's a steady stream of children's music playing & the constant chatter of two toddlers attempting to communicate with each other and a very patient kitty. Meanwhile, four-year old C follows me around for more mature conversation.)

8:30 AM

Want to play catch?

It's a little early for catch, C.

Want to watch me dribble.

Sure.

Guess what I'm thinking.

You like to dribble?

Yes! How did you know?

I am super smart.

I know what you're thinking.

What am I thinking?

You're thinking that You like to dribble.

How did you guess?


I'm super smart too.

11:30 AM

What if you didn't have any juice for me to drink?

Then I'd give you milk.

What if you didn't have any milk?

Then I'd give you water.

What if you didn't have any juice or milk or water?

Then I'd take you down to the lake and have you drink out of the lake.

What if you didn't have any juice or milk or water or lake...


2:00 PM

I know how to spell my name.

That's great, how do you spell it?

C-H-1-O-E-T-U

Hmmm...are you sure?

Yes. I know it.

Ok.

3:45 PM

We're here today, and then tomorrow and then the next day and then the day after that and then one more day and then we're done.

No, C, you're only here for two more days.

Just two?

Just two.

I knew that.

*Pause*

Things are different here.

How so?

Well, you make me eat five bites of my soup.

Uh huh.

And we always flush the toilet.

Yes, we always flush the toilet here.

And you have stairs.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer