Thursday, November 01, 2007
Happy Birthday
Oh how things change in a year.
It dawned on me recently how much less time I spend chronicling my daughter's life than I did with The Boss. It's a phenomena that I associated with lazy parents prior to having my own second child, the syndrome of having boxes and boxes of nostalgia from their first child's first few years - and then nearly nothing for the second. Yet, here I am. Even in the blogosphere, I haven't given her the focus that I gave her brother.
I don't feel guilty, it's really just more the acceptance that life does get in the way. And that working two jobs and taking care of kids/house/husband and trying to somehow construct a worthwhile writing life, it all sort of leaves you a bit lacking - not as much time to time to sit back and ponder things.
For my son's first birthday, I ran a countdown here of now and then, a timeline showing how we'd grown and changed, how life had spun us and where we'd wound up. For Lila, there is only this. A happy family, albiet in the midst of a whirlwind, still waiting to see where we'll wind up. And perhaps then there will be more of a chance for retrospection and creative expression.
But in the meantime, I'm going to take my beautiful birthday girl out for a birthday ice cream. And enjoy the moment while I'm in it.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Skye said...

Happy Birthday, Lila!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lila!

Mella, you have such a beautiful daughter.

I've been feeling guilty in my 2nd pregnancy here, not having the same amount of attention on it as I did on LB's. But you are right. This is just how things go.

Two kids, two jobs, keeping house, writing, taking beautiful photos, HOW do you do it?

You're a role model mom to me, Mella. Have been for quite some time. :)

Blogger Susanna Rose said...

Happy Birthday Lila!:)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer