Thursday, February 22, 2007
Oh Drat
It's part of something bigger.

I knew it was all along, it's part of the larger story I've been carrying with me for the past year and a half. I really just wanted to squeak by though and get it out - enough. Just enough to clear my mind. To let me sleep.

But, now that I've laid it down, I'm even more sure than I had been that it's part of something bigger. Not a novel or novella, but a part of a collection. The story itself is complete, but there are other stories, revolving around these characters, the before's and the after's, still lingering, still waiting in line for their place. Stories told from other's points-of-view, of Anna and Danny and of Cindy's backstory and her loss, and of Lily all grown up. Enough for a small collection all to themselves.

And so, drat. Not because I don't look forward to writing out these other stories - but because I can't right now, don't have time, energy, space enough in my life. Drat, because I'll be sleeping with them for perhaps another year and a half, before I'm able to write them out.

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Zhoen said...

Oh. I don't know. I suspect they will be rather like babies, they come when they are ready, whether you are or not.

Blogger dillyweed said...

I hope my email didn't make you feel like it wasn't enough of a story...
It's just that it really brought me into the lives of your characters and I didn't want to leave just yet.
Big hugs.

Blogger Mella said...

Zhoen That's the perfect way to look at it - thank you.

Dillyweed Oh, not at all! I appreciated your comments. This is something I've been grappling with since the conception of the piece. I guess I'm not ready to let the character's go yet either...

Blogger Darkmind said...

You know, William Falkner was considered one of the great writers of the 20th century. He was known for writing a story multiple times from the different points of view of all the characters in the story. Maybe if you do the same, YOU TOO can get a Nobel Prize for literature...

Blogger LJ said...

Mella, they'll only grow more real and multi-dimensional in the meantime. And maybe you'll find a way to steal some time. For the love of heaven - make notes!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer